For the full video click here.
Shrimp and Grits are by far my favorite southern guilty pleasure, but when I can’t find that on the menu my other choice is Chicken and Waffles. I was thinking as I was leaving the house this morning, “I’m so tired of going out and spending money. What do I have in my fridge right now that I can make for dinner?” Yes, you read that correctly. I was thinking about my dinner plans at 7:30AM. My life revolves around my meals, but that’s another story, for another post.
I knew I had boneless chicken tenderloins, frozen pizza, ground beef, and eggo waffles. A light bulb went off, and that night I made a simple and very yummy Chicken and Waffles dish.
Here’s what you need to have:
- 3 eggs – I used organic cage free brown eggs
- 2 cups of all purpose flour – I used the Great Value brand
- 4 thawed tenderloins – I used Tyson All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Strips
- 1 tbsp of seasoning – I used Goya Light Adobo
- 4 – 6 cups of vegetable oil – I used Great Value brand
- 4 waffles – I used Thick & Fluffy Eggos
- 1 stick of butter – I used Country Crock (salted)
- 4 tbsps. of syrup – I used Aunt Jemima
Here is how you make it:
- Take your 4 thawed boneless chicken strips, place them in a container large enough to begin seasoning.
- Place your tbsp of seasoning over the chicken and begin massaging all over each strip.
- After seasoning your chicken, put it to the side and grab another small bowl.
- Crack 3 eggs into the small bowl, and whip them until all 3 eggs are mixed together.
- After whipping your eggs, put it to the side and grab another small bowl.
- Pour 3 cups of all purpose flour into the small bowl, and run a fork through it to remove any clumps.
- After pouring your flour, put it to the side and grab a frying pan and place it on the stove.
- Pour 4 -6 cups of vegetable oil into the frying pan. You will need about 3 inches of oil to fry properly.
- Turn the heat to “high”.
- Your oil will probably take about 5 minutes to reach frying temperature. You will need to use caution and your better judgment when frying food.
- You should have a mini assembly line of 3 bowls (chicken, eggs, and flour) Take your seasoned chicken strip, coat the chicken with your whipped eggs, then coat the chicken in flour.
- Use tongs to place the strips one by one in the frying oil right after they are coated. Repeat for all 4 strips.
- Fry each strip for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Grab a bowl, layer the inside with paper towels, then use tongs to place the fried chicken in the bowl to get rid of the excess oil and to cool off.
- Turn off the stove top.
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees.
- Grab your 4 waffles and stick of butter.
- Spread the waffles out onto a plate.
- Cut the stick of butter in half.
- Begin to add butter to the top of each waffle
- Place waffles on the racks of the oven.
Use caution when placing food in the oven.
- Leave the waffles in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until they are crispy on the edges. You can also flip them if needed.
- Remove the waffles from the oven, and return them to the plate.
- Place your fried chicken on top of your waffles.
I used 1 chicken strip per waffle.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of syrup per waffle over your chicken and waffles.
For more recipes, food, and travel blogs please comment, and follow me on snapchat @ladyylaura